Required Documents and
Please be aware that the job information listed below refer to the 2013 JET Program year and are subject to change. Updated information for the 2014 JET Program application will be available in early fall 2013.
Please Read Carefully:
- To apply for the 2013 JET Program, you MUST include ALL of the required documents indicated on this page unless otherwise specified.
- *Please note that items #4, #5, #6, #9 and #11, may not apply to all candidates. Only include these items if the application instructions indicate that you should do so.
- Review this page thoroughly and read the Checklist & Mailing Instructions when preparing your application for submission.
- Please note that for most items, one original and two copies are required, whereas for certain irreplaceable items (such as passports, diplomas, birth certificates, etc.) three photocopies will suffice. Please note that the JET Program Office will not return any materials submitted with the application.
- Please do not send any materials separately.
- #1, #2 and #3 need to be filled out online when the 2013 JET Program application goes live. The online portion of the application will be available from mid-October to mid-November.
- Failure to submit all the required documents and follow the instructions may disqualify your application from consideration.
1) Main Application Form (1 original and 2 copies):
Complete all questions on the on-line application form, be sure to hit the "Submit" button, print out in PDF version and sign all three copies. The printed out document might show “Application Copy”, but it will be accepted as the original.
-NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE-
2) Authorization and Release Form (1 original and 2 copies):
This document will be generated when you fill out all the required information on the on-line application forms and print them out in PDF version. Fill in all required information as indicated by hand and sign all three copies.
-NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE-
3) Self-Assessment Medical Form (1 original and 2 copies):
This document will be generated from the questions on the online application form. Please fully answer all questions with all information requested, print out in PDF version, and sign. Be sure to provide complete answers to all questions on this form, including NA for any situations not applicable to you. Any missing or incomplete answers may result in the disqualification of your application.
Carefully read the instructions on the Self-Assessment Medical Form, and if so indicated, include the Physician's Form (listed below). Please provide your physician with a copy of the Self-Assessment Medical Form at the time of appointment for his/her reference. Failure to provide a complete Physician's Form may be grounds for disqualification.
-NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE-
4) *Physician’s Form*
ONLY if applicable (1 original and 2 copies):
The 2013 Physician's form is available here. The Physician's Form must be included if you indicate a physical or mental condition in the Self Assessment Medical Form, if you currently hold a prescription for a medication (including emergency inhalers, epi-pens, etc.), or if you have had a medical condition in the past which requires further explanation. Please note that contraceptive pills, patches, shots, etc. as well as prescription contacts/eyeglasses do not require completion of a Physician's Form. See the instructions on the Self-Assessment Medical Form for details.
The Physician's Form must be completed by a physician or specialist with knowledge of your medical history and must provide a detailed explanation of any condition or prescription listed in the Self-Assessment Medical Form.
We recommend that applicants who need to complete the Physician's Form make an appointment between late-October and early November if possible. Please bring the Self-Assessment Medical Form to the appointment so that for any condition you list in the Self-Assessment Medical Form, the doctor can give an explanation in the Physician's Form.
5) *FBI Criminal Background Check*
ONLY if applicable (1 original and 2 copies):
You must submit a Criminal History Background Check if:
- you have ever been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic offense (ie. speeding or parking ticket), including a juvenile offense. Failure to disclose information related to your criminal history that is found later in the process may result in disqualification. (Please note that all successful candidates will be requested to submit an FBI background check after the results are announced.) If your record has been cleared, you must still submit the FBI check to prove this.
- you are applying for Early Departure consideration.
Information on how to request an FBI background check can be found at: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm. Please note that for the purpose of the JET Program application, we will NOT accept a criminal history check from an FBI-approved channeler or state agency, it must be issued by the FBI. The FBI background check must be current (those dated before August 2012 will be considered invalid.) Be aware that you must submit the request to the FBI in a timely manner, as it can take 8 to 12 weeks to receive the results.
After you have submitted your background check application to the FBI, please keep a photocopy of the signed and dated 1-783 Applicant Information Form which is part of the background check application package and is available through the FBI website listed above. To see an example of this page, click here. If you receive the FBI background check result before the application deadline, please send it with your application packet. If you do not receive your result before the application deadline, you must submit a photocopy of the FBI's 1-783 Applicant Information Form with your JET application packet as proof of having requested an FBI background check.
The FBI background check results must be received by the JET Program Office at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC no later than January 31, 2013.
This is your responsibility - there will be no reminders.
6) *Certificate of Health Form*
ONLY if applicable (1 original and 2 copies):
This form is ONLY to be completed by applicants seeking Early Departure consideration. It must be completed in full by a physician. Please note that any question left unanswered may hinder your application, so we highly recommend that applicants check the form for completeness before leaving the doctor's office.
The Certificate of Health must be completed within three months of the application deadline to be considered current.
The 2013 Certificate of Health form is available here.
7) Statement of Purpose (1 original and 2 copies):
This is an essay, in English, of not more than two 8½" x 11" (or A4) pages, typewritten in black 12 point font and double-spaced with one-inch margins. Anything beyond the required two pages will be discarded unread. Please type your name and page number (1 of 2, 2 of 2) on each page.
You should incorporate all of the following points in your essay:
- Relevant Experience: Describe applicable experiences, professional skills, relevant interests and personal qualities, and how you feel these will be useful to you as an ALT or CIR.
- Motivation for Participation: State why you wish to go to Japan and participate in the JET Program and why you are interested in the position for which you are applying. Also address what you hope to gain, both personally and professionally, and what effect you hope to have on the Japanese community and internationally as a result of your participation in the JET Program.
8) Transcripts of all University/College Courses (1 original and 2 copies):
Applicants must provide transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate courses you have taken or are currently taking, including community college, junior college, study abroad, and associate’s degree transcripts.
You must provide OFFICIAL, hard-copy transcripts with the registrar’s seal and/or signature from all undergraduate and graduate course work.
Transcripts downloaded from the Internet will not be accepted for any school. Transcripts must show the names of all courses completed, the dates of this course work, and the grades received for each course. If your school uses narratives instead of letter grades, you must include all narratives with your official transcript.
If you are unable to obtain an official transcript, you may submit an unofficial transcript, provided that it is clearly marked with the registrar’s seal and/or signature and shows no signs of tampering. Tampering refers to the changing of grades, course names or dates without the approval of the university. Tampering does not refer to opening the envelope containing the transcripts. An official letter detailing the name of the institution, the name(s) of all courses completed, the dates of this course work, and the grade received for each course, will also be accepted. Please note that ONLY a letter from the registrar's office or dean's office will be accepted.
The JET Program Office at the Embassy of Japan will make the final determination on whether an unofficial transcript is acceptable. Although the envelope containing your transcripts may warn “Not Official If Opened,” for the purposes of this application, you should open the envelope and remove the transcripts to make the required copies.
If you were transferred from other institutions to the current institute and your main transcript shows:
- the name of the institution(s) you were transferred from
- the name(s) of all courses completed
- the dates of this course work
- the grade received for each course
then you do not need to submit a separate transcript from the institutions you were transferred from. Please check your transcripts carefully to ensure that all required information is present.
9) *Proof of Study Abroad*
ONLY if applicable (1 original and 2 photocopies):
You must include transcripts from all study abroad programs you attended showing the names of the courses taken, dates attended (a semester/year, for example "Spring 2010," is also acceptable), and grades earned. The transcript should also clearly state where the study abroad occurred (city and/or country). If all of the required information is stated on your home university's transcript, this will fulfill the requirement. A second copy of the same transcript is not required. You may place a sticky note on the transcript to pinpoint the study abroad if you like, but this is not required. Please do not write on the transcript itself.
If you cannot get an official transcript from your study abroad program or are currently studying abroad, you may submit an official letter from your university or the study abroad program with the dates of the program, names of the courses taken, grades received and the name of the city and country where the program took place. If your university transcript only mentions the name of the school where you completed your study abroad, you must also provide a letter with the information listed above.
10) Proof of Graduation or Expected Graduation Date
If you have earned a Bachelor’s degree already:
Please provide three (3) copies of your undergraduate / bachelor's diploma, showing the type of degree and date of conferral. If you submit the diploma for proof of graduation, please be sure to provide three photocopies (do not send your original diploma as any materials submitted with the application will not be returned.)
Alternatively, if the official transcript from your university lists the type of degree and date of completion of
your degree, that will stand for proof of graduation. Please provide one original and two copies as detailed above in Section 8. If you submit transcripts to prove graduation, one full set (1 original and 2 copies) will suffice to fulfill both the Transcripts requirement and the Proof of Graduation requirement.
If you will earn a Bachelor’s degree after the application deadline:
In order to be eligible for the 2013 JET Program, you must receive your degree on or before July 1, 2013.
You must submit a Proof of Expected Graduation Date (1 original and 2 copies) AND a Proof of Current Enrollment (1 original and 2 copies).
These document(s) should be requested from your college or university's Office of the Registrar. These proofs may come in the form of two separate documents or may be combined in one document depending on the format used by your school's registrar's office.
Together or separately, these proofs must constitute an official letter or notice from the registrar of your college or university stating (1) that you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program AND (2) the date (month and year) that your degree will be conferred.
It is your responsibility to check that your expected graduation date on the letter is listed accurately and is before July 1, 2013. If you are accepted as a JET Program participant, you will be asked to submit an additional document prior to departure proving that your degree was conferred by July 1, 2013, as expected.
Note: If you have yet to graduate, the document(s) verifying your enrollment and graduation must be a separate document from your official transcript.
**Attention Early Departure Candidates**
For those individuals who wish to be considered for Early Departure, you must provide proof that you expect to graduate on or before April 1, 2013. Individuals receiving their bachelor's degree after this date are NOT eligible to apply for Early Departure.
11) *Proof of Teacher’s Certification and/or TEFL/TESL Certificate*
ONLY if applicable (3 photocopies):
If you entered 'Yes' for Question #29 or #30, you must provide separate documentation (from the institution granting the certification) of your certification or enrollment in a program which will lead to certification. This must include your date of completion. (See Application Instructions under Questions 29 and 30)
12) Proof of U.S. Citizenship (3 photocopies):
Please include ONE of the following documents:
- VALID United States passport: pages which include photo, name, and signature.
- Birth Certificate
- Naturalization papers: if you are a naturalized citizen, please contact the INS for information on receiving copies of your naturalization papers.
Please note that the following do NOT constitute proofs of citizenship: driver's license, social security card, school ID card, etc.
13) Reference Letters (1 original and 2 copies of each):
Using the 2013 reference form available here, you must obtain a letter of reference from two different people. They may be academic or professional.
Please avoid using family members or friends. If you have not already graduated, one of your references must be from someone related to the university and should contain a reference to your expected date of graduation.
Please give your reference writers the following instructions:
- The reference writer should use the provided form as the first page, followed by a personal assessment on his or her organization’s letterhead. All letters of reference must be prepared specifically for this application.
- The reference form and the reference letter should both be signed and dated by the reference writer.
- After completing the reference form and reference letter, the reference writer should make two additional copies of both documents. There should now be one set of original documents and two sets of photocopies.
- Each reference writer needs to include the three sets of reference forms and letters in one envelope. After sealing the envelope, the reference writer should then sign their name across the sealed envelope flap.
- All reference forms and letters should be returned directly to the applicant and not sent separately to the JET Office.
If your reference writer would prefer a Japanese language version of the reference form, it is available here.
14) Self-Addressed and Stamped Envelope:
Please write your own address in the "to" area of a regular business-size envelope and attach a stamp with sufficient postage. A standard "forever" stamp is sufficient. This will be used to send the applicant a single half-sheet sized confirmation card to indicate that the application was received by the JET Program Office. Be sure to include the self-addressed and stamped envelope in your application package. The Embassy will not be responsible for incorrectly addressed envelopes.
Your application will be disqualified if you do not sign ALL of the following:
1) Application Form
2) Authorization and Release Form
3) Self-Assessment Medical Form
The JET Program requires at least one set of original signatures on these forms. Your two additional copies of each document may contain either original signatures or photocopied signatures, but you MUST send the original.
For Document Sorting Instructions and Mailing Instructions, click here.