Application drop-off: 9:15am to12:30pm (Arrive 30min before to process)
Visa pick-up: 1:30pm to 4:30pm
- Diplomatic/Official visa: 2 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Wednesday pick-up)
- General visa: 5 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Next Monday pick-up)
* Please note that some visa applications require consultation with our headquarters in Tokyo and may take up to one month to issue.
* The above fee does not apply to citizens of countries with which Japan has bilateral agreements. US citizens are exempt from visa fees.
* We accept cash. Please bring the EXACT amount. Personal checks and credit cards are NOT accepted.
- In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame.
- A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Mulitiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
- A Double-Entry Transit visa is valid for 4 months and can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip.
Application Form and Necessary Documents
Embassy/Consulate General of Japan will not make copies. If you need original documents, please bring the original plus one copy.
- Passport with sufficient validity date (An alien travel document must have 6 months or more validity)
- Visa application form
- Photo (passport size, attached to the visa application form)
Additional documents for each specific visa:
- Diplomatic/Official Visa
- Transit Visa
- Tourist Visa (within 90 days)
Visa for visiting relatives and acquaintances (within 90 days)
Visa for business, Conference/Seminar Participation, US Citizen Media, and Depositions (within 90 days)
Study, Cultural Activities, and Related Visas
Designated Activities Visa (Spouse of Japanese/ Permanent resident and Related Visas)
Attention to Long-term and Medium-term Foreign Residents:
Status of U.S. Forces Agreement (SOFA)
*Please note that additional documents may be required for some cases.
- Guarantee Letter
- Invitation Letter/Reason for Invitation
Embassy of Japan in the USA
Criteria of Japanese Visa Issuance
Japanese Visa Information by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Japanese Visa
Outline of New Immigration Procedures: New Security Requirements In Effect For Visitors To Japan (effective November 20, 2007) [PDF]
Waiver of Visa Fees for Foreign Nationals Who Visit Three Prefectures in the Disaster-Afflicted Areas [PDF]
New VISA Fees(From Apr. 1 2015 to Mar. 31. 2016)
The Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice of Japan