Visa for business, Conference/Seminar Participation, US Citizen Media, and Depositions (within 90 days)
Application drop-off: 9:15am to12:30pm (Arrive 30min before to process)
Visa pick-up: 1:30pm to 4:30pm
- Diplomatic/Official visa: 2 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Wednesday pick-up)
- General visa: 5 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Next Monday pick-up)
* Please note that some visa applications require consultation with our headquarters in Tokyo and may take up to one month to issue.
- General entry visa: 31 USD
- Multiple entry visa: 62 USD
- Transit visa: 7 USD
* The above fee does not apply to citizens of countries with which Japan has bilateral agreements. US citizens are exempt from visa fees.
* We accept cash or money orders (payable to : Embassy of Japan)
- In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame.
- A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Mulitiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
- A Double-Entry Transit visa is valid for 4 months and can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip.
Application Form and Necessary Documents
The basic documents required for the visa application are listed below.
- Passport with sufficient validity date (An alien travel document must have 6 months or more validity)
- Visa application form (Click here to download)
- Photo (passport size, attached to the visa application form)
In addition, please prepare the following for each specific visa:
- Diplomatic/Official Visa
- Transit Visa
- Tourist Visa (within 90 days)
- Visa for visiting relatives and acquaintances (within 90 days)
(Click here for more information on obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility)
Study, Cultural Activities, and Related Visas
Designated Activities Visa (Spouse of Japanese/ Permanent resident and Related Visas)
Status of U.S. Forces Agreement (SOFA)
*Please note that additional documents may be required for some cases.
Embassy of Japan in the USA
Japanese Visa Information/Requirements
Visa Application Form to Enter Japan [PDF] Sample [PDF]
Letter of Guarantee - Japanese [PDF] - English [PDF]
Invitation Letter/Reason for Invitation - Japanese [PDF] -English [PDF]
Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law
-To foreign nationals who newly enter Japan after July 9, 2012 [PDF]
Waiver of Visa Fees for Foreign Nationals Who Visit Three Prefectures in the Disaster-Afflicted Areas [PDF]
New VISA Fees(From Apr. 1 2014 to Mar. 31. 2015)
Outline of New Immigration Procedures: New Security Requirements In Effect For Visitors To Japan (effective November 20, 2007) [PDF]
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Japanese Visa
Criteria of Visa Issuance
Exemption of Visa for Residents in Taiwan [September, 2005]
Extension of the Term of Visa Exemption Measures for Nationals of the Republic of Korea [September, 2005]
Exemption of Temporary Visitors' Visa for Nationals of the Republic of Korea [February, 2006]
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan: Visa
The Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice of Japan