Application drop-off: 9:15am to12:30pm (Arrive 30min before to process)
Visa pick-up: 1:30pm to 4:30pm
- Diplomatic/Official visa: 2 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Wednesday pick-up)
- General visa: 5 business days (ex. Monday drop-off – Next Monday pick-up)
* Please note that some visa applications require consultation with our headquarters in Tokyo and may take up to one month to issue.
* The above fee does not apply to citizens of countries with which Japan has bilateral agreements. US citizens are exempt from visa fees.
* We accept cash. Please bring the EXACT amount. Personal checks and credit cards are NOT accepted.
- In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame.
- A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Mulitiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
- A Double-Entry Transit visa is valid for 4 months and can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip.
Application Form and Necessary Documents
Embassy/Consulate General of Japan will not make copies. If you need original documents, please bring the original plus one copy.
- Passport with sufficient validity date (An alien travel document must have 6 months or more validity)
- Visa application form
- Photo (passport size, attached to the visa application form)
Additional documents for each specific visa:
Visa for visiting relatives and acquaintances (within 90 days)
Visa for business, Conference/Seminar Participation, US Citizen Media, and Depositions (within 90 days)
Study, Cultural Activities, and Related Visas
Designated Activities Visa (Spouse of Japanese/ Permanent resident and Related Visas)
- Diplomatic/Official Visa
- Transit Visa
- Tourist Visa (within 90 days)
Attention to Long-term and Medium-term Foreign Residents:
Status of U.S. Forces Agreement (SOFA)
*Please note that additional documents may be required for some cases.
- Guarantee Letter
- Invitation Letter/Reason for Invitation
Embassy of Japan in the USA
Criteria of Japanese Visa Issuance
Japanese Visa Information by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
Outline of New Immigration Procedures: New Security Requirements In Effect For Visitors To Japan (effective November 20, 2007) [PDF]
Waiver of Visa Fees for Foreign Nationals Who Visit Three Prefectures in the Disaster-Afflicted Areas [PDF]
The Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice of Japan