Please note that the validity of all Entry Visas to Japan issued before Dec. 2nd 2021, except “(D) As Diplomat” visa, has been temporarily suspended.
- Applicant's valid diplomatic/official passport, properly signed by the bearer (Please make sure that there is at least 1 page left in your passport for a visa to be affixed to.)
- "VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN" (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant.
- One photograph (2" x 2") attached to application form
- A note verbal / official letter from the applicant's government, department, agency or organization that is sending the applicant on an official travel / assignment.
*For US federal employees, we strongly request you to obtain an official letter from the US Department of State.
- the purpose of the journey (assignment to the mission in Japan, attending conference, transit etc.)
- the applicant's diplomatic/official title or position
- the place and duration of assignment
Please also include the name and telephone number to be contacted in case we have any questions.
- Spouse/dependents who are authorized to accompany an official travel/assignment should be explicitly stated in the principle applicant's official letter. Please submit a separate visa application form for each applicant.
- Spouse/dependents joining a diplomat/official on long-term assignments at a later date should provide a copy of the principle's Japanese visa, the passport (page with personal data) and an entry stamp from the Japanese Immigration Officer, in addition to their own passport and visa application.
The Embassy of Japan reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
Please note that it may take a week to have your visa issued.