The information listed below only applies to standard entry procedures and does NOT apply to the entry procedures under COVID-19 restrictions. Currently, all foreign nationals are required to obtain a visa (except for those who have a valid re-entry permit). Please read "For people who plan to enter Japan from the United States" for more information.
You will not need a visa for a period of stay up to 90 days.
- This visa exemption is NOT applicable for stays exceeding 90 days, or for stays involving paid activities, news/media related activities or attending depositions.
- Please have a valid US passport, and a return/thru ticket available at the port of entry in order to show that you plan to leave within 90 days.
- As a general rule, "visa free" entry status may not be changed to other visa status without departing and then re-entering Japan with the appropriate visa such as a spouse, work or study visa.
Registration Procedure at lodging facilities in Japan
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan
As of April 1, 2005, foreign nationals who visit Japan will be required to do the following when they check in at lodging facilities such as hotels and inns in Japan for the purpose of effective prevention of infectious diseases and terrorism.
- To fill in their “Nationality” and “Passport Number” in addition to “Name”, “Address” and “Occupation”, which are already required, to the guest registration form.
- To present their passports to be photocopied (The proprietors of lodging facilities will be obligated to keep the photocopies).