Embassy of Japan in Washington DC
The Embassy of Japan is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Administrative Assistant. This individual is primarily responsible for performing secretarial duties and drafting and editing correspondence for senior level officials. Please see below for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
The Embassy offers group health insurance coverage, paid vacation and sick leave. Working hours are 9:00 am – 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with lunch time receptionist duty once a month and the occasional weeknight and/or weekend event (paid overtime). Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please note: Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Successful candidates will be requested to submit their background check information.
- Provide administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the office
- Answer internal and external phone calls and emails for the Ambassador & the Protocol Section team
- Provide support for visitors to the Embassy including the handling of logistics
- Draft, proofread and edit correspondence for senior level officials
- Make a list of incoming correspondence and invitations
- Assist the team with managing schedules and making arrangements for meetings, lunches and dinners
- Assist the team in developing and implementing events (receptions, visits by dignitaries, etc.)
- Assist with administrative tasks related to the personal matters of senior level officials
- Manage and update guest information database, record keeping and list maintenance
- Carry out administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning, etc.
- Assist with travel arrangements for senior staff such as booking flights, cars, hotel or restaurant reservations
- Exhibit polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail
- Support the team by performing tasks related to organization and strong communication
- Maintain supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, and placing and expediting orders for supplies
- Other responsibilities as needed and appropriate
Required and Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent computer skills (particularly with PowerPoint, Excel, and Word)
- Must have high-level interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to communicate in English, both written and oral are required
- Conversational Japanese language ability is preferred
- Candidate must be a team-player and willing to learn and adapt
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2022.
Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.