Public Affairs Section
Embassy of Japan in Washington DC
Japan-U.S. Exchange Programs Coordinator
The Embassy of Japan is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Japan-U.S. Exchange Programs Coordinator at the Public Affairs Section. This individual is primarily responsible for managing the schedules and assisting the activities of the diplomats in the Public Affairs Section, as well as coordinating the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. Please see below for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
Working hours are 9:00 am – 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with lunch time receptionist duty once a month and occasional weeknight and/or weekend events (paid overtime). Salary is commensurate with experience and the skills of the candidate. Benefits include group health insurance coverage, paid time off, sick leave and an annual bonus. There is a potential salary increase based on individual performance. The minimum monthly base salary for this position is $3,500 USD.
Please note: Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Successful candidates will be requested to submit their background check information.
- Collaborating and communicating with JET Program Coordinators to assist with any of their responsibilities
- Organizing and coordinating the JET Program application processes, including application processing, the review process, and interviews
- Communicating and collaborating with other JET Program Coordinators at Japanese Consulates in the U.S.
- Planning and facilitating JET Program events and orientations
- Working with the JET Alumni Association on various projects
- Providing assistance to the MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture Sports, Science and Technology) Scholarship application and interview process, and the Embassy of Japan’s School Visit Program
- Drafting posts for social and digital media about topics related to Japan-US exchange and updating the webpages on the Embassy’s website
- Responding to inquiries pertaining to the JET Program and the MEXT scholarship by telephone and email
- Handling administrative duties such as making appointments, developing itineraries, answering phone calls from the public and coordinating transportation for diplomats and delegations from the Government of Japan
- Assisting Diplomats with tasks involved in the promotion of Japan-U.S. exchange
- Other responsibilities as needed and appropriate
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluent English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience living or working in Japan preferred
- Experience in coordinating education, exchange, or international programs preferred
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Japanese language preferred
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30th. Please write “Japan-U.S. Exchange Programs Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.