News & Recent Updates
Welcome to the JICC's website! For the most frequent updates and Japan-related news and links, please "like" us on Facebook and join our growing community.
- 12/17: As part of a week of martial arts at the JICC, this month's J-Film will be Shinobi, a tale of star-crossed ninjas.
- 12/12: Young Japanese calligraphy prodigy, Sisyu, joins the JICC for a demonstration of the art of Shodo.
- 11/27: Throughout the month of December the JICC will be accepting submissions for our Nengajo Design Contest. We look forward to seeing your best designs! Click here for rules
- 11/22: November's J-Film will be the extremely moving Looking Up at the Half Moon, the story of young love in the face of illness.
- 11/14: Japan’s Response to the Typhoon Damage in the Philippines
- 11/12: Origami: A Lifelong Passion opens with a lecture by origami artists/teachers, Michael LaFosse and Richard Alexander. Stay for the works of origami art on display!
- 10/30: Tea ceremony with Urasenke Tankokai at Ippakutei!
- 10/22: Three Masters of Shamisen will perform traditional Japanese music at the JICC. Come experience the power and beauty of the shamisen!
- 10/18: For AIA Architecture Week the JICC will be showing Raise the Castle!, the story of a daimyo come back to life to build the castle he never finished.
- 10/16: The JICC will once again be opening the Ippakutei Tea House and the Old Ambassador's Residence to the public for AIA's annual Architecture Week!
- 9/30: Spring will be upon us before you know it. Sign up now to be a Goodwill Ambassador for the 2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival. Deadline: Friday, October 18th.
- 9/26: Traditional Japanese comedy gets an English twist. Come let storyteller Katsura Sunshine make you laugh at the JICC!
- 9/18: Welcome fall with Until the Break of Dawn, the moving story of an orphaned student and his spirit medium grandmother.
- 8/22: UPDATE: The JICC screening of Breathing Earth has changed to Thursday, August 22nd at 6:30pm.
- 8/21: The JICC teams up again with the Environmental Film Festival for Breathing Earth, the story of 75 year-old Japanese artist, Susumu Shingu and his quest for a wind-powered home, for his lifetime dream of Breathing Earth...
- 7/17: The irresistible sports comedy, Ping Pong comes to the JICC as this month's J-Film. You won't believe how much a movie about ping pong can teach you about heroism!
- 6/19: Enjoy a summer J-Film, Tug of War!, about the town of Oita and its people, who use the ancient test of strength to rebuild their local economy.
- 6/12: As part of the 2013 EuroAsia Shorts Film Festival, the JICC will hold a screening on June 12th at 6:30pm featuring short films from Japan and Italy. Click here to learn more.
- 5/23: The JICC, in collaboartion with JETAA and JCAW, is proud to present Live Your Dream: The Taylor Anderson Story. A special Q&A with Taylor's father, Monty's sister, and the director of the film will follow.
- 5/18: Kids World Cinema 2013 - This year, the JICC will partner with the Mexican Cultural Institute to present six short features, including two animated Japanese films!
- 5/14: Japan and Africa: Hand in Hand with a More Dynamic Africa opens at the JICC! The exhibit provides an informative glimpse into Japan's efforts to engage with the developing world, and its many avenues of cooperation with the international community.
- 4/17: The JICC is proud to present the 1967 epic Samurai Rebellion for our April J-Film. Come out and enjoy a classic of Japanese cinema!
- 3/27: Thanks to popular demand, the JICC will be offering a bonus screening of our J-Film, Hana no Ato.
- 3/27: As part of the National Cherry Blossom Festival, the JICC will be holding a demonstration of the Japanese Tea Ceremony! Come experience this cornerstone of Japanese culture.
- 3/23: The National Cherry Blossom Festival has kicked off in the District! Read all about the Opening Ceremony.
- 3/19: Our new exhibit, 2011-2012 Cherry Blossom Photo Winners and Honorable Mentions, is on display at the JICC, now through April 30th
- 3/19: Celebrate cherry blossoms at the JICC's March J-Film, Hana no Ato.
- 3/13: The JICC and the Environmental Film Festival present the Washington, D.C. premiere of Inori, a documentary about the aging population of one remote village with stories that will feel very familiar to any audience.
- 3/1: Come out to the JICC's first Animezing of the year, Oblivion Island, about a girl who follows a strange masked creature to a world of mystery.
- 2/13: February's J-Film is a story of friendship, music, and love, just in time for Valentine's Day. Come see NANA at the JICC!
- 1/31: Bonus screening of our J-Film, Shodo Girls! by Ryuichi Inomata. If you missed it last week, or if you can't wait to see it again, come join us!
- 1/24: Nippon Through My Eyes, a collection of photographs of Japan by American students, is now on display at the JICC. Now until March 12th.
- 1/23: January's J-Film is the entertaining and heartwarming story of a high school calligraphy club and its efforts to help its hometown. Come see Shodo Girls! by Ryuichi Inomata at the JICC!
- 12/31: As a reminder, the JICC will be closed Monday, December 31st through Thursday, January 3rd for the New Year's holiday. We will reopen on Friday, January 4th.
- 12/19: Our latest J-Film, Ending Note: Death of a Japanese Salesman, is a touching documentary by Mami Sunada. Register now!
- 12/07: The JICC is proud to present the 2013 Nengajo Contest! Please visit the site for details and how to enter.
We are grateful to all of the people of the United States for your assistance and support. Please visit the main page of the Embassy of Japan for the latest updates on Great East Japan Earthquake recovery efforts. To learn how you can help, please click here.
Thursday, December 12th | 6:30pm | JICC Auditorium
Young Japanese calligraphy prodigy, Sisyu, joins the JICC for a demonstration of the art of Shodo.
Tuesday, November 12th - Monday, December 23rd | JICC
To celebrate World Origami Days, the Japan Information and Culture Center, in partnership with OrigamiUSA, is proud to present an exhibition of amazing origami artworks, plus a guest lecture on the art and craft of origami.
November 27 - December 26
Oshougatsu, or the New Year's holiday, is a very special time in Japan. The most honored and celebrated of all Japanese holidays, preparations begin long in advance...
Tuesday, December 17th | 6:30pm | JICC Auditorium
The heirs to two ninja clans have fallen in love and a union between them could mean one unified clan. The shogun decides he cannot allow this...