News & Recent Updates
Welcome to the JICC's website! For the most frequent updates and Japan-related news and links, please "like" us on Facebook and join our growing community.
- 1/30: For this month's Animezing we bring the first feature film from director Makoto Shinkai, "The Place Promised in Our Early Days." In an alternate timeline where Japan is divided by war, a mysterious tower may hold the key to resolving the conflict. Three friends vow to uncover its secret until suddenly one of them goes missing...
- 1/21: In “A Gentle Breeze in the Village”, Soyo, the senior student in the village school of only six, finds her world shaken up when a new boy her age, Hiromi, transfers from Tokyo. This tender coming-of-age story directed by Nobuhiro Yamashita will be screening for our J-Film at the JICC on January 21!
- 1/5: Welcome the Year of the Sheep all month with a mini-exhibit featuring the submissions from our 2015 Nengajo Design Contest!
- 12/29-1/2: The JICC will be closed for New Year holidays. Happy New Year, everyone!
- 12/24-12/25: The JICC will be closed. Happy Holidays, everyone!
- 12/17: For our J-Film this month we bring you “Chronicle of My Mother”: a moving film about the strained relationship between a mother who is losing her memory and her estranged son. Starring Koji Yakusho, Kirin Kiki, and Aoi Miyazaki.
- 12/10: For our Animezing this month, come join Momo as she uncovers the mysterious connection between an unfinished letter from her father and her new island home in this beautifully hand animated film A Letter to Momo!
- 11/17: The JICC is now accepting submissions for our fifth annual Nengajo Design Contest until December 15! We look forward to seeing all your designs! Click here for rules
- 11/21: Come and visit “Time of Eve”, a café where humans and androids are treated equally in our Animezing this month: Time of EVE: The Movie!
- 11/19: With parts made in Japan just who is this “modern man”? Find out in our November J-Film: Robo-G!
- 11/5: Join the JICC for an evening of fun and games, literally, as we present an introduction to the traditional game shogi!
- 10/30: Our Animezing is “Wolf Children”: the story of a mother raising her wolf children in a rural town. For this Halloween screening we invite guests of all ages to come in costume and trick-or-treat with the JICC!
- 10/24: In celebration of World Origami Days, the Japan Information and Culture Center, in partnership with OrigamiUSA and Green Fuse Films, is proud to present Origami Fun Night.
- 10/8-11/3: Submit your haiku for our haiku competition by 9am on November 3 to enter.
- 10/15: For our J-Film this month we present the hauntingly beautiful Ugetsu: a ghost-story and fable of ambition and obsession.
- 10/1: The JICC & the Japan-America Society of Washington DC (JASW) invite you to a moderated discussion of haiku as written in Japan and the United States.
- 9/25: Our shodo exhibit by Koki Sugita begins with a live performance and exhibit tour.
- 9/19: This month we head to Fukushima prefecture and meet an Aizu storyteller in the documentary film Ikitekoso!
- 9/17: Come enjoy a panel about space exploration, with special guest, astronaut and former International Space Station (ISS) Commander Koichi Wakata!
- 9/2-12: Join us for a week of films celebrating the beauty and culture of the Okinawan islands!
- 8/27: Inspired by one of Japan’s most popular songs, this month’s J-Film, “Tears for You (Nada Sou Sou)” takes you to Okinawa in this touching story of two siblings.
- 7/24: Take a journey through time and space with our animated shorts in this month’s Animezing: “Voices of a Distant Star” and “Short Peace”!
- 7/16: Come and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Hokkaido in our J-Film this month, Jin Jin!
- 7/10, 15, 17: Join us for story time with Kamishibai paper theater, a traditional form of storytelling that has delighted Japanese children for generations.
- 7/1: A bonus screening of Studio Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill will be offered on Tuesday for anyone who missed Friday's showing.
We are grateful to all of the people of the United States for your assistance and support. Please visit the main page of the Embassy of Japan for the latest updates on Great East Japan Earthquake recovery efforts. To learn how you can help, please click here.
TBA | TBA| JICC
Stayed tuned for news about our February J-Film!
Friday, January 30th | 6:30 pm | JICC
In an alternate timeline Japan is divided. A mysterious tower stands between the two zones. Three school friends make a vow to discover the secret of the tower but when one of them suddenly disappears will they be forced to abandon their promise?