Visa (COE holders)


This page is for person(s) visiting Japan for the purpose of work, study, cultural activities, or as a dependent (spouse or child) [Please note this excludes the spouses or children of aliens residing in Japan with the status of “trainee” or “pre-college student”].


This information ONLY applies for applicants who have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you are a dependent of a Japanese national or a permanent resident without a COE, please refer to this page.


What is Certificate of Eligibility?

*For further information about COE, please see: Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility

         *For Highly Skilled Professional Visas, please see: Highly Skilled Professional Visa (MOFA)
                                                            please see: J-Skip (Immigration Services Agency of Japan)
         *For Specified visa: Designated activities (Future creation individual),
                                                            please see: Specified visa: Designated activities (MOFA)
                                                            please see: J-Find (Immigration Services Agency of Japan)



  • The Embassy of Japan reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
  • The Embassy of Japan will not make copies.
  • Please do NOT staple or fold any document. 
application form Visa Application Form

Signed by the applicant (Form / Sample) *a digital signature is invalid
*Nationals of Russia and CIS countries are required to submit two application forms attached with a photo. 

passport Valid Passport

with at least 1.5 blank pages left

Photo One 2”x 2” Photo
  • Must be taken in front of a plain background and within the past 6 months
  • Do NOT use filters
  • Passport type photo only (We do not accept photos on regular printer paper) 

Use GLUE ONLY to attach the photo to the application, please do not staple or tape.

U.S. Visa if you are not a U.S. citizen U.S. Visa, if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • F-1 visa holders must present an endorsed I-20 form (ALL school attestation, student attestation, and travel endorsement must be signed)
  • J-1 visa holders must present an endorsed DS-2019 form

Please note: The Embassy of Japan does NOT accept any applications from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa holders.

Original & 1 Copy
Proof of Residency Proof of Residency

e.g., Driver’s license card, State ID card, or Utility Bill

Original & 1 Copy
Certificate of Eligibility Certificate of Eligibility (hardcopy)
*If you have a digital COE sent by email, you only need to submit a printed copy of your digital COE.
Original & 1 Copy


*The Embassy of Japan will not make copies.

Contract or Documents Contract or Documents certifying the activity, its duration, the position, and the remuneration of the applicant, (e.g. a copy of a contract) Original & 1 Copy


Please see our visa main page.

Go back to Visa main page

Recommended Information