Visa and Travel Information
General Rules for Visas
- The Embassy in Washington DC only accepts visa applications and visa inquiries from Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia residents. For residents in other states, please refer to the List of Embassy/Consulates in the U.S.
- We do not accept any applications from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa holders.
- Visa applicants should come to the Embassy in person with the exception of applications for diplomatic/official visas submitted by a representative of their organizations.
- The Embassy will NOT accept any applications by mail.
- Applicants (including minors) may authorize a proxy. To authorize a proxy for application drop off/pickup, the applicant MUST fill out this authorization form and have the proxy submit the original form to the Embassy along with his/her ID card (electronic signatures are invalid).
- Please note that we will keep passports while processing visa applications.
Types of Visas & Application Documents
Transiting through Japan: Currently we are not issuing any transit visas, and travelers cannot go through the immigration & customs area at an airport in Japan without a valid visa. Please contact your airlines to confirm that you will NOT go through the immigration & customs area in Japan. If you need to go through the immigration & customs area at the airport in Japan, which is currently prohibited, then you must reschedule your flights. If you do not need to go through the immigration & customs area, which means that you are not entering Japan, then you do not need a visa and do not need to submit a COVID-19 test result.
- Visas are only valid for 3 months (single entry). We will not accept any visa applications more than 3 months before your departure date. We recommend that you contact us or apply for a visa approximately 1.5 months before your departure date.
- We currently do NOT issue double entry and multi-entry visas.
HoursMonday-Friday (Please check our holidays)
- Visa Application drop-off (Morning ONLY): 9:15am to 12:00pm
- Visa Pick-up (Afternoon ONLY): 13:30 pm to 4:00 pm
*We do not offer mailing services.
*No parking available.
Processing TimeIn general, it takes 5 business days to issue a visa. Please note that it may take up to one month due to COVID-related restrictions. We do NOT have expedited services.
*The Embassy recommends applying for a visa 1.5 months prior to your departure date.
- Standard Fees: Single Entry: 28 USD
- Indian Passport Holder Fees: Single Entry: 8 USD
- Extension of Re-entry Permit: 28 USD
(Some countries are also exempted from visa fees. Please check the visa exempt countries list to find out if your visa fee is waived. )
* Payment is due at the time of PICKUP.
* We accept CASH only (Please prepare cash in the exact amount). We DO NOT accept personal checks and credit cards.
COVID-19 Related Requirements to Enter Japan
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Be aware of traffic rules in Japan
- Japanese Visa Information by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Application Procedures for Multiple Visa for Nationals of India (from January 11,2016)
- The Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice of Japan
- Important Changes in Pension Law for Persons Living Outside of Japan
- Guidebook on Living and Working in Japan (English)
- Bringing animal products into Japan from overseas
- The Electronic Customs Declaration Gate System is now available
- Nice to Meet You! Let's Be Friends!
- Bringing Medications into Japan
- Handbook for Unmanned Aircraft Registration/li>
Staying in Japan
- For Tourist/transit visa or other general questions: Japan Visa Information Hotline* (1-888-704-4459)
- For Quarantine Measures questions: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan(81-3-3595-2176)
- For Re-entry Permit/Special Re-entry Permit or COE questions: Immigration Services Agency of Japan (81-570-013904)
- For Entry Visa or visa procedures (DC, MD, VA residents only): Embassy of Japan in the USA, Consular Section (202-238-6800)
*JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE (1-888-704-4459)
English: 24 hours/7 days a week
Vietnamese: Mon-Fri 10:30 AM - 7:15 PM (JST)
Russian: Mon-Fri 3:00 PM - 11:45 PM (JST)
* This hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in the U.S. (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
* If you are calling from the U.S., you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.
* This Hotline can only answer general questions regarding visas.
* The Hotline will not connect you to the Embassy Visa Office. If you need to contact the Embassy in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Embassy directly at 202-238-6800 during office hours.